Strube CPA PC

Tax & Accounting Services for Individuals & Small Businesses

“My teenager received a tax form. Does he or she need to file taxes? Can I still claim them as a dependent?” These questions come up periodically, and the answer is always “it depends.” Our tax system works like a decision tree, with qualitative and quantitative limits, requiring detailed information. Luckily, the IRS provides two interactive tools to assist with these situations.
To get accurate results, be patient with the tools, carefully read the provided links to understand definitions, and have the necessary tax forms available. It’s helpful to print or save the results as a PDF for your records.
One essential aspect to consider is the concept of “support.” Who primarily provides support for the teenager or individual in question? This includes unpaid or reimbursed housing and food, even if they are still living at home. Just because they may not pay rent doesn’t mean the parent(s) aren’t providing significant support.

For further assistance after using the IRS tools, please book a consultation with me by clicking here. I’ll be delighted to help you navigate through any remaining questions or uncertainties.